Monday morning, Drew had a barking cough. No other symptoms, just the seal bark. I waffled about sending him to school and then decided I didn't want anyone trying to throw fish into his mouth or ask him to balance a ball on his nose, so home he stayed. As the day went on, he developed a high fever and became more lethargic.
Tuesday morning, Drew still had the raging fever and cough and now Kevin was also feeling ill. I took Ethan to school and then dragged Drew into the doctor's office. I took him in to see our pediatrician where the waiting room looked like a Night of the Living Dead re-enactment. So many really sick looking kids and their parents who all had that, I've been stuck at home cleaning up vomit, glazed over look.
The doctor did a nasal swab which came back positive for the H1N1 virus. We managed to dodge SARS and the bird flu so I guess our luck was up. The doctor said it was too late for Drew to start Tamiflu but gave me a prescription for Ethan, who with his asthma is in the high risk category, and also one for me and Kevin. I had to go to 3 pharmacies to find one that wasn't out of the Tamiflu.
So, since then we have all been hunkered down here at home. At first, I have to say the thought of spending the entire week with all of us stuck in the house had me panicking and plotting to tunnel my way out through the basement. However, despite everyone, Drew in particular, feeling cruddy, there have been some almost fun moments. It is kind of refreshing in a way to have all this time to spend together with no other agenda looming out there. No school or work to get to, no errands to be run. Last night, as we were all eating dinner together and laughing hysterically over Kevin making fun of the dog, I looked around and thought this pandemic stuff isn't half bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment