We cleaned out our closets a few weeks ago and in the process uncovered all my running shoes from the past few years. Over my years of running, many shoes have been bought and discarded and these 7 were lingering around still for some reason. The white pair on the left, I ran my first marathon in. The sassy gold pair on the right, my second. There are stories and miles and conversations with my running buddy, Kelly, associated with each pair of those shoes.
I went to the Sports Authority the other day to get a new pair of running -wait, scratch that - workout shoes. Standing in the aisle, considering all the choices, I had a brief pang of sadness realizing that I no longer had to buy the amped up running shoes I have been buying the past 5 years. Darn herniated disc!! If you would have told me, 5 years ago before I took up running, that I would be sad about no longer being able to run, I would have told you to get your marbles checked. However, after 5 years of doing it and loving it, it has become so ingrained in me and so much a part of me that since stopping 6 months ago, I frequently dream that I am running. I always have to laugh a bit at my subconscious because in every dream, I am running along and there is always some point where I think to myself, "my back doesn't even hurt!"
Living here in Colorado doesn't help either. At any moment, on any day, I can see someone running in my community. I drive past and honestly can almost feel my legs aching, wanting to stretch out and go.
Standing in the shoe aisle, I felt that pang of sadness but also a little glimmer of possibility. There were trail shoes, crosstrainers, hikers and endless opportunities to discover another way to get out and go. After 36 years on this planet I have decided life is all about adapting and I am working on adapting.
I went to the Sports Authority the other day to get a new pair of running -wait, scratch that - workout shoes. Standing in the aisle, considering all the choices, I had a brief pang of sadness realizing that I no longer had to buy the amped up running shoes I have been buying the past 5 years. Darn herniated disc!! If you would have told me, 5 years ago before I took up running, that I would be sad about no longer being able to run, I would have told you to get your marbles checked. However, after 5 years of doing it and loving it, it has become so ingrained in me and so much a part of me that since stopping 6 months ago, I frequently dream that I am running. I always have to laugh a bit at my subconscious because in every dream, I am running along and there is always some point where I think to myself, "my back doesn't even hurt!"
Living here in Colorado doesn't help either. At any moment, on any day, I can see someone running in my community. I drive past and honestly can almost feel my legs aching, wanting to stretch out and go.
Standing in the shoe aisle, I felt that pang of sadness but also a little glimmer of possibility. There were trail shoes, crosstrainers, hikers and endless opportunities to discover another way to get out and go. After 36 years on this planet I have decided life is all about adapting and I am working on adapting.
No comments:
Post a Comment