Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

I May Never Graduate from Parenting 101

A few nights ago I was thinking about how Drew is going to turn 11 in December. I cannot believe I have been at this parenting gig for 11 years! As a parent, the days can seem never ending but somehow the years fly by. How that works I don't know.

Even though 11 years seems like a considerable amount of time I am constantly amazed at how much I still have to learn and how many things I haven't quite nailed down yet. If I had to grade myself, I would say there are several areas that would be marked "needs improvement" but I have managed to learn a few things along the way and here are some of the highlights:

- Check little boy pockets before throwing things in the wash. I should know better on this one but still manage to fall prey to it quite regularly. I have washed countless tissues, wrappers, papers, sticks, rocks, toys, markers, crayons, and recently one iPod shuffle that is now sparkly clean but can only be used as a fetching belt accessory. Should've checked the pockets.

- When a small child is having a meltdown, the adult yelling, slamming something or doing anything that constitutes 12 year old behavior, never helps dial down the situation.

- If you hear strange sounds and ask, "what are you doing?" and the question is followed with a, "nothing", investigate immediately. "Nothing" is almost always something like a hogtied dog or the excavation of a putting green in the backyard. Both of those things have actually happened in our house.

- When walking into the mall with two small males, always exaggerate the number of stores that need to be visited so that they will either think you are a rock star when you are done early or not harangue you when you want to pop into a store without it being on the itinerary.

- Never, and I repeat, never commit to anything without leaving yourself an out. Do not agree to go to Chuck E. Cheese without throwing an exit clause into the contract. Something like, "we can go to Chuck E. Cheese if I get x, y, or z done AND if I am sure going will not cause me to have an aneurysm." Something along those lines.

There you have it. About all of the wisdom I have gleaned in these almost 11 years. The rest I am still trying to figure out and this is certainly a job that is ever changing and that challenges on a regular basis but all of that is balanced by one really good hug or an "I love you" from those little people.

2 comments:

Amy Poulson said...

I am laughing out loud in my office right now. Way to make me look professional . . . oh, and that part that I am reading your blog while on a conference call. So GREAT!!! Love it. You forgot, however, to mention the part about in 11 years you have learned to be an amazing, fantastic, inspiring mom to two amazing kids. You inspire me all the time with your dedication and advocacy. Ethan and Drew could not be luckier. If I ever am lucky enough to have kids, I am going to be calling you daily for advice, so I am glad to see you are taking notes!

LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant tips...seriously, if I know this much when my 5-year-old turns 11 I think that I'll consider myself to be a success.

When will I learn that yelling at my daughter during a meltdown is completely futile??