
For today's entertainment, I am off to get another injection in my spine. You'd think I could come up with better things to do with my time, and believe me I could, but that darn disc of mine likes to make itself a priority. I last had an injection about 3 months ago and afterward, I felt the best I have in like a year and a half. I almost felt like my old self again.
It. Was. Great.
But then, back came some pain and my personal favorite disc side effect, the pins and needles down my leg. So back I go for another round.
It. Was. Great.
But then, back came some pain and my personal favorite disc side effect, the pins and needles down my leg. So back I go for another round.
Today, I am telling Dr. B. to just do the exact same thing he did last time only this time make it last forever. No pressure though.
Fortunately, the shot itself isn't painful and really the most painful part is having to arrive at the surgical center 90 minutes early where I will be forced to thumb through 6 month old issues of Time and Golf Digest while listening to music that could be categorized as "easy listening". Blech!
4 comments:
Aw, Heather. Good luck tomorrow. I'd say that sucks but as a fellow chronic pain sufferer I know that a shot is so worth it if it brings relief.
What does the injection do? Does it block nerves? (I've been reading up on nerve blocks so I'm curious.)
Um, and I just realized I commented under my writing blog's name. So, yeah, consider that from Tracey at I'm Not Superhuman!
Tracey, with the injection, they basically bathe the disc area with steroid to reduce inflammation. I guess with what I have going on in my back, the injury sometimes has your body producing some inflammatory chemicals and the idea of the shot is to quiet those down.
This is the 5th time I have had one of these and I have had success with all of them except the first one. If they keep working for me, the injections are my way to avoid fusion surgery.
Could they do a nerve block for your EM? Whenever the back of my thigh is burning, I think of you and your burning feet and how annoying that must be.
Ashley, I really have no idea what the needles they use look like and I only ever see them on the CT scan pictures they give me after (they do the shots guided by a CT scanner).
In answer to your question, I have a bulging disc in my lower spine. As for why, not 100% sure but I am 6 feet tall so there has been a lot of bending in my life, I used to run a lot and probably that didn't help, and then I also injured my back as a teenager so the area may have been weaker since then.
So, there is the 411 as the youngins say. :)
Post a Comment