photo from here
Yesterday, I went and tried acupuncture for the first time. A woman Kevin works with tried it for her back recently and had some really good results so yesterday when I woke up with this bony spot on the back of my pelvis killing me, I thought it was time to give it a try. I will admit being a little nervous as I am with anything involving my back because while I am all for reducing pain, I am also wary of anything that could potentially increase pain. I was also worried a bit about looking like the guy in the picture above.
I walked into the clinic and literally felt like I was not in Kansas anymore. Everything on the walls was in Chinese, the people were all Chinese and speaking Chinese, the intake form was in Chinese with some English underneath and then there I was in the middle of all of this, a super tall, blonde, white woman. Felt a bit conspicuous and like the "One of these things is not like the other" music should be playing.
I talked to the doctor about where I have pain, he performed some physical assessment and then he put 4 needles in my hand.
Huh???
I have pain on the left side of my upper pelvis and I got 4 needles in my right hand. He explained why and how, something about blockages and pathways, an explanation that really didn't leave me feeling like I got it still but after about 20 minutes with the needles in my hand, he had me stand up and move the ways that made that spot hurt and shocker, no pain whatsoever. None, nada, zip, zilch.
Trippiest. Thing. Ever!!!
I am curious to see if that pain relief lasts for any length of time but I will definitely give the acupuncture a few more tries. Who knows, maybe bloodletting and cupping after that.
Anyone ever try acupuncture and if so, what did you think???
Anyone ever try acupuncture and if so, what did you think???

3 comments:
Ashley, a lot of stuff I read online about acupuncture claims that it only has a placebo effect on people but my thought is that I will take placebo effect if it makes me feel better. I don't discriminate when it comes to my pain relief.
This is really a timely post because for the last 4 weeks I have been going to an accupuncturist in hopes that he can resolve my eczema once and for all. He sticks pins in my knees, my forehead, my ears and my toes. I don't ask questions. He does cupping on my back and uses needles to release blood near my spine and my ear. I don't ask questions. I just need results! I am feeling a bit better after 3 weeks of hell so maybe there is something to this??
Ameena, I hope it helps. I am still not sure if it is going to help me or not. I do feel better after I leave and on my visit today there was an area that would hurt when he was examining it that very definitely didn't afterwards.
I have asked him a ton of questions and parts of it make sense to me and parts of it seem very hocus pocus, like my blocked Qi. I don't really care though if it makes sense if it helps me.
Post a Comment