Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

A Peaceful Start to Spring Break

Tumblr_lf30i54yld1qeqzpuo1_500_large

Today marks the beginning of week two of Spring Break. With the exception of the kids driving me batty last Monday, the rest of last week was blissful. How you might ask? Did I take them out for educationally stimulating activities, did we do crafts together, was I ever calm and loving making it so they were saints all week? Since this is real life and not a Disney movie, we did none of that. Instead, they left Tuesday morning with Grandpa and spent the rest of the week in Utah. Hence the blissful week here at home. Kevin and me in a child-free zone for almost a week. Heaven.

While they were gone I was able to eat my breakfast and watch my 10 minutes of the morning news without first having to beg negotiate my right to even requisition the t.v. at all. Adding to the bliss, I was able to actually hear the news program, not just see the pictures with the volume cranked to an ungodly level. Since there were no fighter planes flying around my head, no one playing with the dog or talking to me about why the moon has a dark side, I could actually hear Matt Lauer. Turns out the man has a quite nice speaking voice.

Tumblr_limoclv4gm1qagbjfo1_500_large
picture from here

One day of my child-free time, I went to lunch and shopping with my mother and I couldn't help noticing what a different shopping companion she is instead of two boys. Not once did she stomp her foot and make a face when I said I wanted to look in yet another store. Not once did I have to use the Italian sodas at the Nordstrom Cafe as a bribe to make her stop whining. When I tried things on and asked her how they looked, she never once said, "weird". And, shocker of all shockers, she actually encouraged me to try things on. Gasp!!!

Drew and Ethan returned back home Saturday night and both had a wonderful time with Grandpa. Kevin and I enjoyed our quiet week but were happy to see the crazies back in the house.

Now, just one more week to go................

4 comments:

momof72nheaven said...

How nice and you are hilarious the way you write.

Heather C said...

Thanks Kenda!

Ashley, I was LOL at the watching a movie you both like comment. So, so true! :)

As for the 2 weeks, it isn't a Colorado thing per se. Our school schedule has a 2 week spring break and a 2 week fall break (in October). I love it because we have a slightly shorter summer and then the 2 weeks in the fall is great because the whole world isn't on break at the same time.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman said...

At least you don't have girls. I remember going shopping with my mom and she'd say, "What do you think?" My response was always something like, "You look too much like a mom" or "Can that shirt be any dorkier?" And then I'd proceed to bring her clothes I thought were cool.

Also, your comment today about "you'll pay for your treachery" had me cracking up just now. That is SO FUNNY.

Heather C said...

Tracey, I never considered the agony that might be shopping with girls. I am sure instead of them begging me to go home they would be begging me to go in stores that smell like cologne is pumped thru the vents and the music can only be described as pulsating where they will beg me to buy a push up bikini top or something of the sort.