First off, I stink at blogging lately and I really wish I could say that it was because I was out doing lots of fabulous things. In reality, I am spending lots of time napping on the couch or looking in the fridge at the 900 beverages I have in there trying to decide which one I find least repulsive so I can hydrate myself. The rest of the time I am catching up on the things that get left behind while I am napping or fridge searching. Kind of pathetic but this is how pregnancy with two babies is going for me thus far.
My brother in law ran the Chicago Marathon a few weeks ago and also running the race that day was a women who was 38 weeks pregnant and who delivered a healthy baby a few hours post race. Wow, right?! All I can say is that if I make it to 38 weeks (on average twins come at 35 weeks) the only way you will see me running is if someone in a hockey mask with a chainsaw is chasing me and even then it will be questionable if you can call what I will be doing running. A fast waddle perhaps.
Last January, I spent a few months working with a personal trainer and then since then have been doing my usual walk 2 or 3 miles per day and in addition, I spend 2 or 3 hours a week doing the trainer stuff. As a result, I would say my muscle tone is probably the best it has ever been in my life and I have really enjoyed the weight training stuff. So, when I found out I was pregnant, my plan was to continue this routine as long as possible. My doctor said it was alright as long as it felt good and as long as I didn't lay flat on my back. He even said core work was okay. He did say that around 20 weeks I would probably need to quit.
So, I have been lunging and doing bicep curls and all that jazz but a few weeks ago, I decided it was time to call it quits. First off, the core work, ugh. Planking with a pregnant belly and contracting your abs just does not feel good. Then, there is the nausea. Instead of doing my usual back to back sets, I do one set, and then lay on the floor for like 5 minutes trying not to vomit. It makes my usual hour workout take about twice as long. Also, lately, I have sprouted a decent belly and when I lunge, the belly gets in the way. Plus, I am just too darn tired. Some days it is enough to go for my walk and deal with daily life.
Therefore, I am bidding adieu to the muscle work and will just stick with the daily walks. I really wanted to be one of those pregnant women who doesn't let pregnancy interfere with exercise but marathon running prego lady, I am not. I am hoping that the muscles will not get too jiggly with their 4 to 5 month break and I will miss those tired muscles post workout. I think I will miss the skull crushers, pike on the swiss ball and Bulgarian split squats most of all. The one consolation though is that come March, I will know exactly what I need to do to get back in shape. Finding the time to do it, now THAT will be the challenging part I suspect.
1 comment:
I honestly think that walking is the BEST workout. It's great for the legs, it's great for your overall health, and it doesn't kill your knees! It's not pathetic at all. Nor is napping or frdige searching!
Post a Comment