Drew has a classmate in his special needs class that likes to give other classmates the names of characters from t.v. shows. For months, he called Drew "Francine", from Arthur. Drew thinks this is the makings of great comedy and so recently, he has started calling me "Chuck".A few weeks ago, we sat down for dinner. Kevin was working late so it was just me and the guys. During dinner, Drew starts up with the "Chuck" stuff. "Chuck" this and "Chuck" that. Each time he calls me "Chuck" he and Ethan erupt into raucous laughter. At first, it was funny but then it was taking all my mom powers not to lose it. I was doing my mantra in my head, "my head is NOT going to explode, my head is NOT going to explode" followed by a few "Om's" in homage to my Buddhist/yoga friends.
Finally, I can take it no longer, my head IS going to explode, and say to Drew, "Enough with the Chuck, I don't want to hear it again or you will be excused from the table!"
Silence follows and then, very softly, under his breath, Ethan says, "Okay, Charles".
No comments:
Post a Comment