Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's Craptacular!!

A good friend/family member, once told me over a bowl of cake (yes, a bowl of cake) that oftentimes, in Heather's world, things are either perfectly perfect or total crap and there is no middle. (That would be you A.P.) Totally a true assessment.

This past week, life has been so far from perfectly perfect and has instead felt like total and complete crap. Having endured Backgate 2009 and finally these past few months feeling almost human again, my craptacular body decided to muck something else up royally. So, while the back feels great, my knees feel like I am 95 and I am left feeling a bit put upon. A year ago at this time, I was running a ton, moving furniture with wild abandon, and was open and ready for anything life threw at me. Now I feel like I am only slightly removed from eating dinner at 4:00, complaining about the rain affecting my joints, and routinely wearing sensible shoes and polyester. So not perfect.

After wallowing in self pity and massive quantities of dark chocolate this past week, I was reminded of the wisdom shared over a bowl of cake. This week, no matter what my ancient feeling body throws at me, I am going to focus on that middle ground and the things that are still really amazing and wonderful about my life.

2 comments:

Holly Thompson said...

(((Heather))) I am so sorry that you are having knee pain! That sucks and is so unfair, especially since you treat your body with such respect (unlike me who abuses it with sugar and sedentary habits). Feel free to wallow all you want, sometimes that middle ground is hard to find.

Amy Poulson said...

I know you don't "kneed" me laughing at this post, but I am. Bowl of cake, as if you had to remind me. I actually posted a long comment yesterday, but your blog apparently banned it. But don't you worry, read #2 made me laugh and comment again.

First, loved that bowl of cake. And you have to admit inspired some pretty great kernals of wisdom: (1) the Heather-life spectrum analysis and (2) don't leave the two of us alone with a bowl of chocolate anything and spoons. Delicious. Altitude worked out for just right that weekend.

As for your body craptacular, I find that venting to the genetic culprits usually makes me feel better. I call my mom and whine about varicose veins and cellulite all the time these days and hold her personally responsible for both (yes, the cellulite seems more universal, but it is all about feeling better sans cortisone shots and vein procedures). I whine to both of my parents about acne at 30-something, though my mom is adamant that is my dad's doing--along with just about every other genetic issue I complain about outside of varicose veins. And don't get me started on the others, or do, but it is a topic for a phone call.

Regardless, I am so sorry that your body is not behaving. I say we protest is craptacular behavior, perhaps on a beach in Hawaii. Love you Heather!!! Call me and vent. Shared gentics means lots of empathy. Stupid knee. We have marathons to run, or at least vacations to take in the name of marathons.