Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Maybe We Should Move Him Up to Boulder...

Our trash service started offering recycling a few years back. I finally got around to calling and signing us up for it a week ago (yes, it only took me 2 years - it is all about priorities people). They delivered the bins and we have been tossing all our paper, plastic and metal into them.

Drew, was super excited about the fact that we were going to recycle. They talk a lot about it at school and recycle at school. He insists on personally delivering anything that needs to go to the recycle bin. The other morning, I got chewed out by him for forgetting about the recycling and daring to throw a jam jar into the trash compactor. What WAS I thinking!?

I have some glass milk bottles sitting on the counter that need to go back to Whole Foods, who give me a refund for my bottle credit. He keeps eyeing those and then asking me, "are you going to recycle those?" I keep explaining that they go to the store, not in the bins but I still end up getting a lecture about how they should go in the bin. As a result of all this zealous, recycling behavior, we have dubbed him the "recycle Nazi". Even Ethan, has mumbled to him a few times, "you are really nuts about the recycling".

The one bright spot with his new obsession is it is getting him to throw things away. I can't tell you how many pieces of cardboard were in his room that he was "saving" for a project. The recycle bins arrived and he cleared his room of anything recyclable. Now if I can just get him to be so energetic about organizing all the other crap in there. If only Lego's and Star Wars figures were recyclable.

1 comment:

Amy Poulson said...

I love my Drew. Zealous is sometimes good. This quality is going to pay off . . . mark my words and hear me now. :) Love you! And yes, I know I owe you a phone call. . . it is just going to be LONG. XO