My body hasn't been too cooperative as of late. I won't bore you all with the all the details but things have been painful the last few weeks. Over the course of all this physical gunk, I have had people tell me that I should try pool running as a way to stay in shape. I haven't pursued that much because I don't love having to drag myself somewhere to work out and I hate reeking like chlorine afterwards.
Friday, I thought I would finally go give it a try. Maybe things would hurt less. I slapped on some self tanner, grabbed my bathing suit and towel and drove down to my neighborhood recreation center. There are a few pools to choose from and when I got there there I immediately noticed there was about 30 years between me and the next youngest person there. The pool I chose had a few people in it who, with the assistance of their canes, got out soon after I arrived. After they left, it was just me and the requisite life guard staring at me from her chair. Can you say conspicuous feeling? Nothing like having someone watch you run like a ninny back and forth. I wanted to tell her to just please leave and that if I somehow moronically managed to drown myself while running in 4 feet of water than I probably deserved to die. After 25 minutes of running around in the quiet pool I couldn't take the boredom any longer and left. It was an okay workout but nothing amazing.
When I walked into the women's locker room straight in front of me, sitting on the bench was a 70ish year old woman. She was in the process of changing and had a towel over her lap but still managed to flash me a la Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct. Yuck! When I got to my locker, sitting to the left were two older, somewhat plump women who were changing out of their bathing suits. They were pulling on their underwear, the kind you could literally pull up to your chin, and I had a brief moment of sadness thinking "THIS is the crowd I roll with now? Someone just shoot me please" Is this what I am destined for? Water aerobics, bathing suits with skirts, and discussions with my exercise peers about whether Sass or Rockport makes the better shoe? Yikes!
No more pool running. However, being in the water felt good and I may try some lap swimming but next time I will go to the rec center that has the cold pool where all the triathletes swim. I would much rather hang with that crowd.
No comments:
Post a Comment