Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

An update

No, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I have had a bit of blogger's block lately and have also been really busy. So, here is just a brief update of the going's on in our house recently.

  • On Friday, Drew participated in the school talent show. He told 4 knock knock jokes and did an awesome job. We were so proud of him.

  • I realized just the other day that it has officially been 1 year since I last ran. Feel a bit blue about that but I am doing all I can to recover from my injury and that is all I can do.

  • The neighbors installed a chicken coop in their backyard which they put right up against our fence. As you can imagine, a certain red bird-dog is going nuts about that. Obsessing over that spot on the fence, scratching at the fence, and, my personal favorite, yipping like there is no tomorrow. Going to have to have a conversation with the neighbor I think.

  • I am enjoying doing my Children's Hospital volunteer work every Wednesday morning although last week did a number on me. I was asked to go down to the PICU (pediatric intensive care unit) to play with one of our oncology patients who was getting a dangerous chemo that necessitated him being in the PICU for monitoring. All the rooms in the PICU are glass walled so the nurses can see the very sick patients at all times. My supervisor told me to try not to look in the rooms. The room I was going to happened to be at the end of the unit and in walking through and turning a corner, well, I saw some things no parent would ever want to see. Totally threw me and at the same time made me really thankful to have two whole and healthy children.

  • Kevin turned 40 last week and I can now tease him about being officially middle aged.

  • My parents took the kids to San Diego when they were off track last month. They both had a blast but after a week of eating out for every meal, Ethan was getting sick of the food. My mom said he kept telling her, "my mom's food is way better than this!" At Legoland one day, they got him a slushy and he took one sip and put it aside. My mom asked him if he was going to eat it and he said, serious as can be, "grandma, I have had tons of slushies in my life and THIS is one terrible slushy!" Apparently all those high faluting 7-11 slushies have made him a bit of a slushy diva.

And, there you have it. A brief recap of our activities for the past several weeks.

1 comment:

Carol Askew said...

Loved the recap. I hadn't heard the story about Ethan, the slushy diva - too funny!!