Pages

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My Crisis Kit Essentials

I love books and am an avid reader so naturally, when I have a problem or need information, I read a book that deals with my current question or issue. That is how over the years I have wound up reading some real page turners like a book about special education law (useful knowledge and can also double as a sleep aide), a book on the history of mental retardation in America (not happy reading for a mother of a developmentally disabled child - I still have nightmares about that book), and more recently books on back issues. Riveting stuff I know.

Just recently I picked up a book about persistent pain called "The Pain Chronicles". Let's face it, I would much rather be reading something like "What to Do When You Win the Mega-zillionaire Jackpot", but unfortunately, pain chronicles is where I find myself right now.

Reading the book has made me think a lot about how I deal with the pain issues I have had the last year and the things that I tell myself about it all. Some methods I have are pretty decent and healthy and some are a bit self defeating. Among my two favorite and long time coping strategies are music and chocolate.

I love music almost as much as I love books. My kids can attest to the fact that there is often music playing in our house or even better, I am frequently found walking around the house with my ipod on, ear buds in and sometimes singing at the top of my lungs (mostly just to make my audience of two laugh). What I listen to often depends on my mood. My go-to I am sad music would be anything from REM's Automatic For the People or from The National's latest album, which is so melancholy that it would turn the happiest person somber after one chorus. If you hear me listening to Tool or Perfect Circle, know that I am probably pissed about something or at someone and it would be best to back away and not make eye contact. If I am happy, well, anything goes but right now Arcade Fire's, The Suburbs does the job. All of it evokes some emotion in me and can definitely help me cope with whatever is going on in my life.

My other trying to cope friend is chocolate. Preferably dark chocolate in some sort of baked form like a brownie, molton chocolate babycake, or my new love, the brewer's malt blondie. If I am stressed about something, you can be sure there will be a dessert in my near future. Not the healthiest strategy but I figure it beats hard drinking and street drugs.

Yes, I also have more meaningful ways to cope like talking to my husband, a man who deserves some sort of medal for patiently listening to all the complaining over the past year, or my parents but the music and the chocolate, while a bit superficial, are always available in a pinch and I think will always be a part of my coping toolbox.

1 comment:

Carol Askew said...

Ummmm....thanks - now I'm craving a brownie or chocolate chip cookie. :-) I say skip the books on pain, go straight to entertaining fiction, with a plate of those blondies on the side.