Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

Wow, 9 Years Old!!


Yesterday was Ethan's 9th birthday. I cannot believe my baby is 9 years old! It doesn't seem that long ago that I was sitting in the hospital waiting for him to come. That day was such an odd mix of emotions. The whole 9/11 thing had happened the day before and I just felt sad and upset about that but then I was excited to meet this new person coming to our family.
In honor of Ethan's birthday, here is a short list of some of the things I absolutely adore about him.

* I love that he is a total foodie and has been from birth. Literally minutes out of the womb, that kid wanted to eat. When he was a toddler if you were eating anything near him, he would come over, pudgy hand outstretched and say, "some, some" over and over until you fed him. His nickname is Munchee because he is such a food man.

* I love his zany sense of humor and how he sees humor in the world around him. I also love that if you get him laughing, his laugh turns into this cackle that is just hilarious to listen to.

* I love how even now at 9 years old when he is asleep he makes this sound with his mouth that he has made since he was a baby.

* I love his very strict sense of right and wrong. He is a rule follower and is incensed when someone else doesn't follow the rules.

* I love how compassionate he is toward other people. Every teacher or leader he has ever had has commented on how he is always concerned if anyone in the group is upset and how he tries to make it better.

* I love how he treats his brother. Having an older brother who needs you to read things for him or who asks for your help all the time has to be annoying but Ethan is always so sweet about helping Drew with things.

* I love his spirit of adventure. He loves to do and see new things. When we hike, he explores every nook, cranny and boulder that we pass. After travelling this summer, he is already asking where we are going next.

Happy 9th birthday Ethan! I love you so much and am so proud to be your mother.

1 comment:

Holly Thompson said...

Happy Birthday, Ethan! You are growing up so fast into a very charming, handsome, sweet young man. No wonder your mom is proud of you! I hope I get a chance to meet you some day!