Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Brotherly Love



Ethan's class had a poetry reading last week. Each of the kids wrote a short poem and everyone read their poem to the audience. Ethan wrote his poem about his brother and I thought it was the sweetest thing ever. In case you can't hear the video well, here is the poem.

My Brother Drew

I love my brother.
He is special to me.
He is fun to play tag with.
He is awesome.

by Ethan Covington


After the poetry reading, I was feeling all warm and fuzzy about my two boys and how much they love each other. They aren't very demonstrative when it comes to each other and I was thinking, wow, despite all the fighting and all the competitiveness, they really do love each other.

The warm and fuzzy feeling quickly had cold water poured on it when we got home from school that day. Ethan asked Drew if he would like to hear the poem Ethan wrote about him and Drew responded, in true Drew fashion, "I don't want to hear your silly poem!" and then Ethan cried. Now that is more like what I am used to.

2 comments:

Amy Poulson said...

Well, you can tell Ethan that I LOVED his sweet poem. He did a wonderful job, is so smart, and even better sweet with his brother.

That all said, Drew's response is classic! That is the kind of brotherly love I am used to.

Give my boys a big hug and kiss.

Mya-Lisa said...

Oh, Ethan's poem was just beautiful! (And his toothless grin in the other post is SO CUTE, btw!)

And I LOVED Drew's classic sibling killing of a moment - lol! My brother STILL does that to me!:)