Yesterday, on the way to school, the boys were asking me what I was going to do for the day. I told them that I was going to go run for a few hours because I only have 6 weeks until my race and I need to get lots of running in.
Drew says, "Can you try really, really hard to win this time?"
Ahhh, this again. Every time I do a race, Drew wants to know if I am going to win, why I am not going to win, why I can't try really hard to win, etc. I have explained, ad nauseum, that there are many, many reasons why I will NEVER win. I am not Kenyan, I am a good foot taller than the average professional marathoner, I do not have the time nor the inclination to run 100's of miles a week, even though the I find the word fartlek amusing, I have no desire to actually do them, and the list goes on.
I said, "It is a big deal just to finish a marathon because most people can't run that far. All I am trying to do is to run faster than the last time I ran a race."
He says, "Oh..........so you aren't going to win?"
"No, I will never, ever, ever, ever, win a marathon. Even if I did everything a professional marathoner does, I will still NEVER win."
Silence follows and when I check the rearview mirror I see both of them sitting there looking perplexed with a twinge of disappointment. I am sure their young, male brains are thinking, "what the heck is the point then if you aren't going to win or even come close?"
Silence follows and when I check the rearview mirror I see both of them sitting there looking perplexed with a twinge of disappointment. I am sure their young, male brains are thinking, "what the heck is the point then if you aren't going to win or even come close?"
Maybe one day they will get it but for now I will remain their lame mother who admits she will never win the race but continues to stupidly try anyway.
1 comment:
lol! I can just imagine what was going through their minds as they puzzled over the incomprehensible ambitions of their mother.:)
(Right now as I get in shape after a long winter out of shape, MY only goal is not to puke up something important like my spleen after each run. I wish I weren't such a fair-weather runner...I'm so impressed by your dedication, Heather!)
Post a Comment