I have been training for another full marathon for the past 3 months. The race is May 16th and things had been going really well. My pace has really increased since the last marathon I did 2 years ago. I was feeling pumped and like a white, steroid-free Marion Jones.
Then, about 3 weeks ago, everything started falling apart. I have had problems with the foot and now am having some crazy nervy problems with my back. I saw a doctor today who thinks that the muscle spasms caused by my being hypothyroid combined with all the running is what is causing me trouble.
Because of all of this, I decided yesterday that I am going to change to the half marathon. I am disappointed and pissed. The Harmer in me wants to just stubbornly muscle through it; however, I do prefer not being in pain and I want to be able to run for years to come and I am afraid I will jeapordize that the way things are going. I hope to try again at some point but for now I just want a body that isn't in pain or numb.
The one bright spot here is that I have been running at least 13 miles, once a week for the past 4 months so doing a half marathon will be a breeze. Also, since I am now 35 I have moved up into an older age division where the runners are slower. Given how fast I am running now, I could actually place somewhere in the top 10 or 20 for my age division.
1 comment:
You inspire me. I barely have enough energy to get my floor mopped in a week. I have always hated running swimming was my thing. I need to borrow your mom and dad's wave resistant pool to get back into shape.
Post a Comment