Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

A Pincushion Update

Acupuncture_large
from here

On Tuesday last week, I tried acupuncture for the first time.  After having needles placed in my hand and back, it relieved some pain but made me horribly sore everywhere on Wednesday. 

On Friday, I went back for my second appointment.  The acupuncturist wanted to needle me, as he calls it, in my back again but I was nervous about that after Wednesday's soreness.  He said he could achieve the same effect needling only my hand and a spot between my nose and upper lip.  He said the spot in the face is a very powerful spot for back pain.  Despite being nervous about having a needle in my face, I thought that seemed better than having it near my nervy disc.  I agreed but told him that if I felt that needle on my teeth at ALL, he could expect see a grown woman running around the room yelling, "get it out! get it out!" over and over again. 

Duly warned, he went to work.  Before placing the needles, he felt around on my back asking about which areas hurt when touched.  Then he placed needles in my hand and the one in my face. 

While I sat there, he asked me about what my diet is like.  I described what types of foods I eat and then he pinched my upper arm and my waist and said, "your fat layer is not good".  He went on to say I need to eat more sweets and greasy foods to increase my fat layer.  That made me laugh especially since I got the sweets category covered and the term "fat layer" made me feel like I should be barking for fish and balancing a ball on my nose. 

After having the needles in about 15 minutes he felt around on my back again.  Before the needles, I had about 10 different areas near my spine where there was pain when touched after the needles being in, there were only 2 where I felt any pain.  So bizarre. 

After my appointment, I felt great and continued to feel great the rest of the day.  I felt normal and it was an amazing feeling to be free of any pain or discomfort. 

Sadly, by Saturday afternoon, pain and discomfort returned and I spent the weekend in a bit of a funk feeling like there is no hope for me escaping the pain that is my life in this body.  Kevin reminded me that my discomfort and pain returning does not mean it will always be there and I think I will certainly give the acupuncture a few more tries and see if that amazing freedom I felt Friday can be something that lasts longer.

7 comments:

momof72nheaven said...

I used acupuncture when I was pregnant with Maya. I had tried everything else for the nausea (is an understatement since I had been IV'd 4 or 5 times by then). My guy put pins everywhere including my big toe. It did not cure me completely but took the edge off so that I could live a somewhat normal life. Good luck Heather, I hope it lasts longer next time.

Heather C said...

Kenda, I am very interested in hearing about other people who have done acupuncture and I am glad to hear that it did help you. I am still not sure if it is something that is going to work for me or not but I will certainly give it more of a try.

Heather C said...

I know, the fat layer thing is an odd way to tell someone they need to gain weight.

Ah, as for Colorado's weather in the spring, I would say think Forrest Gump and his box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. 84 degrees Saturday, snow Sunday, 80 today and 50's with rain/snow the rest of the week. I never know when I wake up if it is going to be flip flops or boots.

You guys are here next week?! Good luck on the move and I hope you guys end up loving it here as much as we do.

Suze said...

That's great that it gave you some relief! My mother in law suffers from back issues and she's mentioned trying acupunture a few times, but she's never gone through with it. Thank you for putting your experience out there!
I'm a visitor from Tracey's blog, your comment on her post this morning cracked me up!

Heather C said...

Hi Suzanne! My spine doctor said acupuncture seems to help about 1/4 of his patients with his back pain. I'd say a 25% chance of it working would be worth your mother in law giving it a shot.

Ameena said...

The thing with accupuncture is that you have to go 2-3 times a week and expect a long-term recovery. I too get discouraged when my eczema seems to get better and then worse and then better...but from everything I read this is not a quick solution.

Heather C said...

Ameena, you are right, I am supposed to go a few times a week for several weeks before I will supposedly be unblocked. I just get so hopeful when I feel good that this is going to work and then to feel bad again makes me so upset. I am going to go a few more times and see what I think.