I know some of you wanted me to let you know what the neurosurgeon said so here is the lowdown.
Based on the MRI, I have a bulging disc at L4/L5 (basically the lower lumbar spine). When I had the MRI, they gave me a disc of it and I immediately rushed home to play armchair radiologist. I actually could see that bulge on the MRI but thought it was a herniated disc. According to the person who actually went to medical school, all your discs have a thick outer layer that contains the spongy material. If a disc herniates, it breaks that outer layer and the spongy part protudes into the spinal canal. With a bulging disc, the outer layer isn't broken but a portion of the entire disc squeezes out into the spinal canal pressing on all of those wonderful nerves there. There, you have all had your Backs 101 lesson.
The doctor said the disc that is bulging is also dry (my first thought was someone get that disc some water, stat!), which means it has been "beat to hell", as the doctor put it. Whether that is from my height, my hypermobility (aka flexibility), or too much running is anyone's guess. He said the ligaments around the disc were strained and stretched.
The sad part of the visit was when he told me that running is bad, bad, bad for an already mashed up disc. I asked if that meant no running what so ever and he said he wouldn't dictate to me how to live my life but that maybe it was time to re-examine priorities and decide how important distance running is to my life. He said maybe still run but a lot less and knowing that I have to have a rock solid core or run the risk of more pain.
Not too happy about that. Since retiring to motherhood, the running has been the one area where I could do something soley for myself. Where I had tangible goals to work toward and I was the one accomplishing those things. Plus, the swagger and bragging rights that come with running long distances makes me feel good. So, what now is the big question. I told Kevin that not being able to do races or run much might be the thing that tips me full blown into a midlife crisis. I have already sort of been there this year with the kids in school full time and not knowing what to do with myself. This running ban might just drive me over the edge to a ridiculous sports car, plastic surgery, and a hot, younger pool boy named Juan, and I don't even own a pool!
1 comment:
......but I know many boys named Juan, i could set you up with. lol
I am so sorry about your back Heather, you could always take up distance swimming, if I lived closer I would help.
Post a Comment