Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Did I have a lobotomy I don't remember because obviously I wasn't thinking

A few months ago I was feeling unfulfilled by my weekly clean, shop, clean, shop, clean, take care of kids, clean yet again and repeat lifestyle and was looking to add something more. I decided I would sign up to volunteer at our local Children's Hospital. I filled out paperwork and had my interview and the woman in charge felt I would be perfect for their oncology unit and I thought that would be a good fit too. I have first hand experience with the family dealing with cancer, I am not afraid of a bald head, I know how to work a chemo pump, and this felt like a way to honor my sister.

Last week, I had to go for my final training. During the training, they took us on a tour of the oncology unit and at the beginning of the tour the person conducting the tour sat us all down and very seriously told us that volunteering on the oncology unit is very rewarding but can also be very emotionally taxing. She then went on to talk about that on this particular floor, more than any others, you see the same patients routinely and get to know them and then, some of them die. While she was going on about establishing boundaries and utilizing the mental health people when it feels overwhelming, I was sitting next to her trying to keep my cool but inside thinking, "why the HELL did I think this would be a good idea?" In that moment, it was all feeling just a bit too close to home. What possessed me to think that providing myself with a weekly reminder of one of the most emotionally difficult times of my life would be a good thing? This could either be extremely cathartic in some way or a complete train wreck. Ack!!

1 comment:

momof72nheaven said...

I know I couldn't do something like that, but I also know that you will certainly honor April and help others if you can do it. We are thinking of holding a fishing tournament here in Loughlin's name , creating an ongoing scholarship to help kids from Nyssa and Vale to go to college. I think it is a great idea but am hoping i can really do something like that.