Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Trying to find my flat bottom...

Last summer a big group of us got together at our friend's house in New Jersey for a girl's weekend. While there, my friend Val, yoga goddess extraordinaire and Buddhism dabbler, told me that I am what the Buddhists refer to as a flat bottom sitter. Meaning you sit solidly in your self and things can pummel you from the outside but it doesn't knock you down or sway you.

Well, lately, with all the back junk, I couldn't feel less like a flat bottomed girl and more like a Weeblo. Remember Weeblo's? Those little toy people with a rounded bottoms that wobble back and forth if you even breath on them too hard. That is me right now. Push me just a little and I am going to fall over.

It amazes me that just 3 months ago, I was training for another marathon and running 18 miles on Saturdays and felt on top of the world. I felt strong, powerful, healthy, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. Now, I feel fragile and somewhat like an insignificant speck that some unknown force has squashed under it's thumb.

In spite of all of that though, I know that the flat bottomed girl is in there somewhere still. Okay, I can't run anymore and most days lately, I am lucky to still be comfortable standing up by the end of the day; however, the essence of me is still the same. I need to remember that.

No comments: